“The first impression is the best impression.” Most people strive to get the best impression from their superiors or colleagues. When you meet a new person, the first thing that you notice is the face. So, taking care of your face is a compulsion at some time. In this process, lips might trouble you with their dryness and cracks. When the shrivelled lips bother you, you turn off the dryness with the natural treatment for dry lips.
Symptoms of dry lips
The common symptoms of dry lips are redness, cracks, and soreness. These symptoms make your lips unattractive and might look very messy. When you find these signs on your lips, you must start treating your lips. Before going to the list of treatment for dry lips, it is better to know the root causes of dryness.
Causes of dry lips
There are a lot of sources of dryness in the lips. As early as you know the reasons for dryness of lips, you can take the preventions to get the soft and smooth lips. Here are the causes of dry lips:
- Licking the lips frequently
- Exposure to the sun
- Use of cosmetic products
- Breathing through the mouth
- Usage of the toothpaste with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Health issues like thyroid, psoriasis, diabetes
- Lack of proper care for lips.
How to cure dry lips?
When the winter season hits the year, the most common problem is skin dryness. You can cover your skin with your clothes. But the facial organ lips does not have any protection. You might use lip balms and many cosmetic products to protect your lips. They may also be a reason for the lips cracking. So, do not always go for artificial protection and cures. Try the below-listed natural and handy home remedies for chapped lips.
Natural treatments for dry lips
The skin on the lips is much delicate and thinner than other parts of the body. It contains the molecules that get the moisture from the air into the skin. During dry conditions, the humidity in the air evaporates. So, there is no source for the skin molecules to get moisture for the lips leaving the skin dry. Lips need moisturization as medicine for cracked lips. Here are the best natural remedies for dry lips:
1. Coconut oil treatment for dry lips
Coconut is the most used lip moisturizer from ancient times. It has individual properties that have attracted people to take advantage of it. It contains the Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFs). The MCFs are readily soluble in the skin. As it is readily dissolvable in the skin, it provides moisture from the inside of the skin. So, coconut can treat the dryness in lips and gives you back soft and beautiful lips.
- Apply the coconut oil on the lips frequently to keep your lips moist.
- An easier way of implementing this is during the nights.
- Before going to sleep, massage your lips gently with coconut oil and have a sweet slumber.
2. Honey treatment for dry lips
Honey has anti-bacterial and moisturizing properties. You can apply honey to your mouth, or you can mix it with lemon juice or glycerine. It cures dry lips and reduces the darkness of lips due to exposure to the sun.
- Apply pure honey to the lips any number of times in a day.
- You can also use honey and glycerine mixture on the cracked lips to get softer lips.
3. Milk cream treatment for cracked lips
The milk cream is a storage of excess fat. The fat helps the cream moisturize the lips. As a result, it heals the dry lips and removes the dead cells from the mouth.
- Apply the milk cream to cracked lips and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Clean the lips with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water.
- Do this daily for better results.
4. Glycerin treatment for dry lips
Glycerine raises the moisture in the skin by locking the moisture in the inner layers of the skin. In this way, it reduces the dryness in the lips. It repairs the damaged tissues and gives the results faster.
- Before going to bed, apply few drops of glycerine to your lips.
- Wash your lips in the morning and enjoy the soft lips.
5. Mango Butter remedy for dry lips
Mango butter is rich in fatty acids. It has hydrophilic and hydrophobic characteristics, which mean one end of the chain attracts water, and the other end repels. This way, the moisture is locked in the skin, making the skin soft.
- Take some mango butter and apply it to the lips.
- Leave it to dry for some time.
- Wash off the lips with water.
- Repeat the procedure regularly for the best results.
6. Sugar scrub for your lips
The sugar scrub makes the best home remedies for dry lips. Scrubbing helps remove the dead cells from the dry lips. For scrubbing, you do not need any stone. You only need to make a scrub with the ingredient from the kitchen and use it as a treatment for dry lips.
- Mix sugar and honey in the ratio of 2:1.
- Apply this mixture to the lips.
- Let it sit for 5miutes on the skin.
- Now, gently rub the mixture with the fingertips to loosen the dead cells.
- Wash off the lips with water.
7. Green tea for cracked lips
Everyone knows the benefits of green tea for health. But you may not be aware of its incredible magic towards chapped lips. It is the best treatment for dry lips. Treatment with green tea is the oldest lip care home remedies. The tannins present in the green tea relieves the burning sensation of the cracks in the lips. It also increases the moisture levels in the skin. When you drink, the warm water in the green tea makes you feel good on the parched lips.
- Take one bag of green tea from hot water.
- Press the teabag on your lips for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Do this daily for getting your soft lips back.
8. Aloe Vera for soft lips
Whatever the search you make for home remedies, the most common treatment you see is aloe vera. It is nature’s gift to humankind. Aloe vera can also treat severely chapped lips. It also provides moisture for the lips and protects the outer layer of the lips. The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera treat the cracks in the lips by soothing the dry lips.
- Take out the aloe vera gel with a spoon.
- Now, apply some gel on the chapped lips and leave it to dry.
- Wash it off with water.
- Repeat the treatment to get the best results.
9. Lemon home remedy for chapped lips
Lemon provides excellent nourishment for cracked lips. It nourishes the cracks and provides soft, smooth lips. Lemon stops the aging of the skin and makes your lips look young. Try this home remedy as one of the dry lips treatments:
- Add one spoon of milk or cream, three spoons of lemon juice in a bowl and mix them to form a solution.
- Store the solution in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Take it out, and before going to bed, apply this solution on the lips and around your mouth.
- Do this process for three days, and you’ll get the best results.
10. Cucumber treatment for dry lips
One more handy and straightforward dry lips remedy at home is using cucumber. Cucumber is rich in water content. It helps the dry lips to get moisture naturally. As the main reason for dryness is the lack of water content or moisture, cucumber is one of the best remedies for chapped lips.
How to treat dry lips with cucumber:
- Take one cucumber slice or the paste of the cucumber slice.
- Gently rub the portion on the lips. See that every inch of the mouth is covered with cucumber paste.
- Let it dry for about 15 to 20 minutes and wash it with water.
- Do this as frequently as possible in a day. You’ll get your soft and smooth lips again.
11. Avoid dehydration with water.
“Pure water is the world’s first and foremost medicine.” You can treat any ill health with water. The human’s body is 70 per cent water, and the blood is 90 per cent water. Water is essential for the body functions like the digestive system, blood pumping, skin protection, etc. So, when the required quantity of water is insufficient for the body, the system starts malfunctioning. From the above, you might understand the necessity of drinking water a lot. If you drink water, you can treat your dry lips faster.
To treat dry lips with water, do the following:
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up in the morning.
- Have at least six glasses of water per day which is a minimum quantity.
- Before going to have lunch or dinner, drink one or two glasses of water.
- What all the above steps explain is everything is cured with water.
- So, drink lots of water, keep your skin hydrated, have beautiful soft lips.
What are the essential tips to take care of my lips regularly?
- Keep moisturizing your lips regularly with natural products. Avoid chemical balms.
- Scrubbing with natural products is necessary to remove the dead cells and have clean skin on your lips.
- Stop smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Protect your lips while playing sports by wearing a mouthguard.
- Take a proper diet and get the required minerals and proteins for the body.
- Stop licking your lips more frequently.
- Apply sunscreen for your lips when going into the sun.
- Verify the presence of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in your toothpaste. If it is present, immediately change it to protect your sensitive lips.
- Avoid breathing or sleeping with your mouth open.
Chapping of lips is a common problem, but it might be a health issue. When your chapped lips don’t go away with the above remedies for a long time, there might be an underlying health problem. So, it is better to consult a medical professional to know the health status of your lips.