Dry skin, especially when it is too dry, doesn’t make you look beautiful, and everyone knows it. Instead, it leads to scaling, flaking, cracking, and bleeding, making the situation even worse. Despite the presence of many artificial ointments and moisturizers, most people prefer to go with natural solutions, like avocado for dry skin, because they know medicated solutions are only able to provide short term benefits.
The sebaceous glands produce the oils in the human body. The issue of dry skin usually arises when the oil production by these glands cannot keep up with the demand for normal functioning. The environmental factors leading to this issue are taking hot showers, extremely harsh chemical soaps, cold weather, and overuse of cosmetics. Dryness of the skin can also occur because of dehydration, HBP (High Blood Pressure), dehydration and many other factors.
What makes avocado effective in dealing with dry skin?
- High quantities of vitamin A in avocados ensure sufficient oil production in the body, thus helping to prevent flaky and dry skin.
- Avocados are a rich source of glutamine, copper and vitamin C, which increase collagen production in the dry skin and enhance its elasticity.
- Due to high potassium and vitamin E contents, avocados assist in restoring the moisture content of the skin.
- The presence of lutein, alpha-carotene, and beta-carotene enables the avocados to protect the skin from aging prematurely.
- Avocado oil promotes the generation of new skin cells and improves the blood flow through them.
- The presence of anti-inflammatory components, like zinc, iron, phosphorus, and beta-sitosterol, help in the reduction of dry skin itchiness.
Top 10 methods of using avocado for dry skin
Avocado is truly an incredible blessing for treating dry skin, as one can use it in any form like skin mask, oil form, mashed pulp, avocado peel, etc. But before applying any remedy related to avocado, do remember to wash your skin with lukewarm water and a mild strength cleanser. Once dried with a soft cotton towel, it is ready to take on an avocado remedy.
1. Wear an avocado fruit mask.
The pulp of avocado fruit penetrates deeply into the skin and hydrates it from within. Moreover, it nourishes the skin by moisturizing it and providing it with the necessary elements.
- Take the pulp of ripe avocado fruit in a pot.
- Mash it until there is no lump left, and it gets the shape of a fine paste.
- Apply this paste to the skin.
- Massage it for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after keeping it on for a further 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process three times a week.
2. Use avocado oil.
Avocado oil contains enormous quantities of essential fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. These components act as an excellent natural moisturizer and nourish dry skin.
- Take some avocado oil in a bowl.
- Make a cotton ball and dip it in the bowl containing the oil.
- Gently apply the oil on dry skin.
- Leave it there for about 15 to 2 minutes as, during this time, the oil will seep into the skin.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this oil 2 to 3 times every week.
3. Use olive oil and avocado for dry skin.
Anti-oxidants, abundantly available in olive oil, maintain the balance of moisture in the skin. Furthermore, squalene and many other unsaturated fats present in olive oil improve the skin tone and help in hydrating the skin.
- Mash 1 ripe avocado fruit using a fork in a pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix well.
- On dry skin, apply a thick layer of this mixture and leave it untouched for 5 minutes.
- Wash it with cool water.
- For better results, use this mixture three times a week.
4. Use brown sugar and avocado oil as exfoliator.
Brown sugar is an excellent dry skin exfoliator as it removes the dead skin layer from the skin surface.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a pot
- Apply this mixture on dry skin and massage using this mixture in a circular pattern.
- Continue to rub gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Wash the mixture off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat the method at least twice a week.
5. Mix avocado and honey.
Honey is a wonderful moisturizer for the skin and possesses excellent penetration abilities. When used, it penetrates deep into the skin layers and moisturizes it from within. Moreover, honey and avocado face mask for glowing skin helps to retain the moisture in the skin.
- Take half a cup of honey along with 1 cup of avocado pulp.
- Mix both and apply as a mask on the dry skin.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wipe it off with a piece of a soft cloth and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Use this process two times a week.
6. Try cucumber and avocado for dry skin.
Cucumber is an ideal hydrating agent for dry skin because of the higher water proportions that make up its fleshy pulp. It is a rich source of caffeic acid and vitamin C, which provides a soothing effect to dry skin.
- Take equal quantities of cucumber and avocado in a blender.
- Blend them until the mixture starts looking like a paste.
- Using your fingertips, apply the mixture to the affected areas of your skin.
- Keep it untouched for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash off the paste with lukewarm water.
- For better results, use this paste at least 2 to 3 times every week.
7. Use banana and avocado for dry skin.
Banana contains large quantities of potassium and vitamin A, which moisturize and hydrate dry skin. Moreover, it makes skin elastic by providing the necessary elements and the beneficial amino acids to the connective tissues.
- Mash 1 ripe banana in a pot.
- Also, mash a ripe avocado and mix it with the mashed banana until it gets the shape of a creamy and smooth mixture.
- Apply with your fingers gently on the affected dry skin surface.
- Wash with lukewarm water after keeping it on for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure at least two times every week.
8. Combine avocado and apricot.
Apricot is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and is a rich source of vitamin A. So, it helps remove the dead skin layer and promote the regeneration of healthy skin cells. So, one can use apricot in combination with avocado for skin whitening and give it a refreshing look.
- Take one ripe apricot and one ripe avocado in a blender
- Until it gains a smooth texture, blend it thoroughly and continuously
- Massage using this mixture in a circular pattern
- Leave it on for 25 to 30 minutes and then wash with lukewarm water
- Re-apply this mixture three times every week
9. Use milk, honey, and avocado for dry skin.
Milk helps replenish and retain the moisture in the skin layer as it is incredibly rich in fats, proteins and water content. It also contains lactic acid, which serves as an exfoliator for dead and dry cells of the skin.
- Take one ripe avocado in a blender
- Blend it to a thick paste form
- Add 4 tablespoons of warm milk and 1 tablespoon of honey in this blended avocado paste and stir well
- Using your fingers, gently massage the dry areas in a circular pattern.
- Wash with lukewarm water after leaving it on for more than 20 to 30 minutes
- Repeat the method two times a week to get better results
10. Make a mask using aloe vera, olive oil, and avocado.
Aloe Vera, belonging to a succulent plant, consists of massive quantities of lectins, mannans, and polysaccharides, along with many other valuable minerals and vitamins. So, it helps prevent the flaking and cracking of dry skin. Furthermore, it is an excellent hydrating agent as water is its primary constituent.
- Take a half ripe avocado and mash it to its pulp form.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel to it.
- Use this mixture as a mask and apply gently on the dry skin.
- Keep this mask on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash it off.
- Re-apply this mask at least two times every week
Get better results in less time with these safety precautions and tips of avocado for dry skin.
- Please ensure that you aren’t allergic to any form of avocado before using it directly implementing in any form.
- The patients using blood drugs must consult their doctor, as avocado can interfere with their medication. It also goes the same for lactating and pregnant women.
- Always use a ripe and soft avocado.
- Before applying any avocado application, keep it in the refrigerator to enhance its soothing and cooling effects on dry skin.
- While using an avocado mask, wear old clothes as it leaves persistent bright green stains, which are extremely difficult to remove
- Try adding a humidifier to your surroundings, as they help prevent and soothe the dry skin symptoms by adding extra moisture to the surrounding air.
- Remember to drink a lot of water.
- Consult a dermatologist if the dryness gets worse after using an avocado mask.