Each season provides its own challenges in applying makeup. There’s the situation of having oily skin during summer where one’s makeup gets all cakey and all sorts of ruined. However, there’s another situation that most people relate to, and that’s having dry skin during the cold or winter season. A person with dry skin knows how frustrating it is to apply foundation and not have it turn into a cakey mess. So how do you apply foundation on dry skin?
Tips on how to apply foundation for your dry skin
Check out the following tips on how to apply foundation on dry skin on your face and achieve the results you want to see.
1. Exfoliate before you apply foundation on dry skin.
Our skin produces an enormous amount of dead skin every day, and it’s a necessity to exfoliate regularly.
When exfoliating, gently use a washcloth or other scrub recommended for dry skin and scrub areas prone to drying.
These areas are the ones around the nose and chin, where wrinkles are commonly visible. You can also use a recommended face wash or cleanser that has safe chemicals. That can reach the smallest places of your nose and chin.
2. Always moisturise before you apply foundation on dry skin.
Despite the disadvantages, many people say that having dry skin can help maintain a glow, especially during the summer. However, it is essential to remember to moisturise to avoid skin from flaking off, causing a cakey and non-smooth condition.
There are many ways to moisturise your dry and flaky skin.
Some choose to spray mineral water which quickly absorbs into the skin, keeping it moist. Others wash their face and blot with a cotton towel before applying makeup.
Yet, the most effective method and is highly recommended to people with dry skin is to use rosewater. This method is popular and can be easily done through the following steps:
- Soak a towel or cotton ball into a basin filled with rose water and wait for 3 minutes for it to absorb.
- Next, use the soaked towel or cotton ball gently and slowly, applying it to your face to moisten and soften your skin.
This method is recommended not only to moisturise before applying makeup but also for daily skincare to improve skin condition. But for the makeup to have a smooth and shiny appearance, pay more attention to deeply moisturising your skin.
You can deeply moisturise your skin by using a moisturising cream to help you moisturise your face throughout the day.
3. Choose the right foundation that’s for dry skin only.
Another tip to consider for people with dry skin is choosing the most suitable makeup foundation. Water-resistant or alkaline-based foundation creams are ideal for oily skin and prove to be less helpful for dry skin.
A hydrating and light coverage liquid foundation works best with people who have a dry skin type.
Small tip! Mix your liquid foundation with a little moisturising serum to maximise the moisturising benefits when applying foundation for dry skin.
4. Powder is not your friend.
For people with dry and flaky skin, the powder is not a friend. Powders are known to clog pores and can make you look pasty and even drier. However, if you feel the need to use powder, apply it only to oily areas and not on your entire face.
Moreover, use compacted powders as their hygroscopic properties are pretty low and cover your skin as lightly as possible.
5. Rules for concealer
If you often suffer from dry skin, especially in the nose area, using a waterproof concealer is not recommended. A waterproof concealer absorbs all moisture and causes more flaking and peeling to your skin.
When choosing a concealer, choose those with creamier formulas as they are known to hydrate dry and flaky areas. Liquid or cream concealers will help you hydrate your areas of concern instead of accentuating them.
Furthermore, check the label of your concealers and choose those with skin-nourishing ingredients like Vitamin C.
6. Spray minerals to keep skin healthy.
Face mists are the most underrated product in the world of skincare.
Many people do not realise that applying one to your skin is essential as it fights dryness and dull complexion. A facial mist refreshes, hydrates, and revitalises your skin. It is helpful for those skin types that need hydration.
For people with dry skin, choose those facial mists which contain ingredients that boost hydration.
Choose ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and squalane, as they are known to plump your skin cells.
Other Things To Remember To Prevent Dry Skin
- When doing your daily makeup, keep in mind to use appropriate makeup tools when applying foundation and concealer.
- It is recommended to use cotton or makeup brushes to minimise the friction that contributes to skin dryness.
- Aside from using and applying a good makeup foundation to conceal dry skin, it is also essential to invest in long-term skincare.
Skin Care Routine for Dry Skin
If you want to have beautiful and appropriately hydrated skin, it is best to invest in a quality skincare routine, like this one:
- Frequent use of moisturiser is a must for girls with dry skin to enhance hydration and moisture.
- Aside from moisturisers, facial mist or mineral spray usage also helps in contributing hydration to the skin.
- The simple act of frequently drinking the recommended amount of water also helps in hydrating the skin.
- It is also helpful to nourish your skin from within by eating healthy and nourishing food.
- Eating nutritious, vitamin-rich food sources help in proactively combating dryness from within your body.
- In addition, consuming foods rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A helps in healthy and smooth skin regeneration.
- It is also helpful to take iron-rich supplements which promote a healthy metabolism to help you absorb nutrients easily.
We want every person to be comfortable with their skin and help those that have skin concerns. With such aim, we are hopeful that the following enumerated tips and advice have been helpful. After all, we want every woman to go out and socialise without being insecure with dry and flaky skin. We want women to apply foundation correctly and improve the moisture for their dry skin.