Do you feel shy and less confident about your thin and rough hair? Are you shedding your hair noticeably? What is the reason behind it? Is it hereditary or suffering from something else that causes hair loss? You should find out the actual cause of hair loss to arrest it immediately. Hair colour and texture may differ from person to person but, hair is the ultimate word of being beautiful and attractive.
What causes hair fall?
It is standard to lose 50-100 hairs every day. New hairs grow and make up for the shortage. But what if the hair loss rate increases? After a certain age, hair losing or thinning is very common. But what if it comes at an early or very early age? Tremendous hair loss with no new hair growth invites baldness in both men and women. Baldness can occur at any age. To resist baldness and to reduce hair falling, one must know the actual reasons for it.
Reasons for hair fall
Here is a list of the most significant causes of hair fall:
The research said many people suffer from hair loss due to family history. If you are from a family where women start thinning their hairs after a certain age, you are more prone to get this. You, as a woman, start losing or thinning hairs in a predictable pattern. Men begin losing hairs from the front of their forehead. They have bald spots and a receding hairline with ageing. Heredity is said to be the most common cause of baldness or hair loss.
During the pregnancy period, childbirth, and after menopause, hair loss is widespread due to hormonal changes and stresses. Women with improper thyroid gland hormones can suffer from hair loss. If you start extreme hair loss from a sudden time, checking your thyroid is a must. Also, scalp infection, alopecia, and ringworm are some medical conditions, lead to extreme thinning or falling of hairs.
Certain classes of medications and supplements may cause hair loss. Certain medicines used for blood pressure, depression, cancer, heart problems, arthritis, gout, bipolar disorder, and taking some anti-inflammatory drugs are hindrances to hair growth and thinning of hair.
Radiation and chemotherapy
After getting radiation and chemotherapy, hair may not grow like before. Hair loss is a significant side effect of accepting radiation therapies to beat deadly cancer.
Physical and emotional stress
Sudden emotional shock such as death or separation may cause hair loss. Some kind of physical stresses like accidents, surgery, or severe illness can cause temporary hair loss. In some cases, hair starts generally growing after recovery.
Lack of nutrition
Lack of iron, protein, vitamin B and other vitamins and minerals may lead to hair loss. To achieve a healthy and shiny hair, you must concentrate on your diet. Protein-rich foods, including meat, fish, and egg, boost hair growth. Fresh vegetables, fruits, and nuts are suitable for your hair.
Smoking is one of the significant reasons for hair loss with its other deadly side effects. It increases stress, and smokers experience early hairlessness than non-smokers.
Hair fall may increase extensively at an early age because of pollution. Smoke, dust, and dirt in the air make hair frizzy, filthy, dry, and rough. People, who spend most of the time outside, lose hair faster than others. Excessive sun exposure damages hair particles and leads to hair fall.
Over styling can cause hairlessness. Tight braid, ponytail, or cornrows make hair roots weak. This leads to hair fall. Excessive use of harmful colours, hot-oil treatment, straightening chemicals ultimately damages your hair and leaves it dull, dry, and thin. Dermatologists recommend light shampoos for hair cleaning purpose and mild conditioners to get rid of frizziness. Avoid tying your hair tightly to resist hair fall.
Seasonal hair fall
In some seasons, people experience more hair fall than any other times. In monsoon, due to hot and humid weather, men and women experience more hair loss than other time of the year. In winter, dandruff is another cause of hair loss. The scalp becomes rough and dry, and hairs become weak and fragile, thus, hair loss.
How to prevent hair loss
With ageing, hair loss is common. But to avoid early-age hair falling, the following precautions may help you a bit:
- Avoid styles like tight braid and ponytail.
- Don’t twist, rub or pull your hair heavily.
- Make washing and brushing smooth and gentle. Use a wide-toothed comb to resist tearing of hair.
- Ultraviolet ray is harmful to your hair. Protect your hair from this harmful ray and use a scarf or a cap while exposing to the sun.
- Restrict the use of curling irons, hot rollers, and other fashion treatments.
- Avoid medications that may lead to hair loss.
- Stop smoking and taking other harmful stimulants.
- Consult your doctor to reduce the risk of hair fall during chemotherapy.
Natural remedies work seamlessly without any side effect to beat hair loss and to re-growth hair from ancient time. Our ancestors used coconut milk, Aloe Vera, methi (fenugreek), curry leaves, bananas, eggs, curd, onions, amla, and honey to look after their hair. To make your hair strong, radiant, and long, these natural items have no substitute.
Easy to prepare homemade hair mask
1. Egg-yoghurt hair mask
Protein, sulfur, iodine, phosphorus, and zinc in eggs promote hair growth.
- In a bowl, take two whole eggs.
- Add two spoonful of plain yoghurt and mix it well until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair from root to tip.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Only wash your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner.
2. Banana Mask
Banana is a natural source of potassium and antioxidant. It provides hair with natural nutrients.
- Take two ripe bananas.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Make a thick paste and apply until the headcovers.
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse well with lukewarm water.
3. Avocado hair mask
As a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, avocado is good for hair growth.
- Paste 1 ripe avocado in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Add some milk to make the paste smooth.
- Apply it on hair from root to tip.
- Wait for 15 minutes and rinse with clean water.
4. Curry leaves, castor oil, and coconut oil hair mask
Curry leaves are rich in beta-carotene and protein. Coconut oil has its own nutritious values. Together, they are great to prevent hair loss.
- Take a handful of fresh curry leaves in a pan.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of coconut oil and heat it until it starts popping.
- Turn off the burner and wait for 5 minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of castor oil.
- Apply it warm onto the scalp and hair.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash with a mild shampoo.
5. Amla and methi (fenugreek) hair mask
Amla is rich in vitamin C. It strengthens the hair follicles and controls hair loss. Methi seeds are probably the most effective home remedies to repair hair follicles and boost hair growth.
- Soak methi seeds overnight in water.
- Grind it and make a fine paste.
- Add amla paste in it.
- Apply on to the scalp and hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Rinse well with cold water.
6. Onion and Aloe Vera hair mask
Antibacterial properties in onion prevent the scalp from various infections while sulfur repairs the hair follicles.
- Grind an onion and squeeze to extract the juice.
- Mix it with Aloe Vera pulp.
- Make a smooth glue-like paste and apply on to the scalp and hair.
- Leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- You can mix lemon juice to stand against the odd smell of onion.
Thousands of natural herbs and leaves reduce hair falling and boost hair growth. It is better to use these natural hair care ingredients instead of chemical hair care treatments. For a better result, maintain the regularity. Also, take plenty of water, fresh fruits, and vegetables every day to boost natural hair growth and have intense, shimmering, and glossy hair.