It Leg day. Everyone’s favourite workout day, just kidding.
But it is a must if you want that beach body.
But you don’t necessarily have to do the traditional squats to get the legs you want.
There is another way, one that can be easily done at home.
What is it? you were maybe asking.
Well, I am going to introduce you to one of my favourite things in the world.
The Kettlebell. With this beauty, you can do the best home leg exercises available to man.
Here I am going to show you 4 Killer leg exercise that will leave your Quads and hamstrings screaming but all for a good reason, as the potential gains are incredible.
Best Home Leg Exercises with Kettlebells
1) KettleBell Squats: Set: 3 Reps: 10.
This exercise is great for working all the leg muscles, especially the QUADRICEPS.
How to do it:
1) Grab hold of a kettlebell with two hands and with an overhand grip (hold the Kettlebell just in front of you, with arms fully extended), with your feet shoulder-width apart.
2) Bend your knees and lower your body as though you were sitting down on a short stool, stopping when your Quads/thighs are parallel to the floor.
3) Slowly stand back up with control to the starting position. Note: This is a great exercise, and if your feeling super energetic, try jumping kettlebell squats. wherein phase 3) instead of slowly standing back up, explosively jump up and land with control
2) KettleBell Single Leg Deadlift: Set: 3 Reps: 20 (10 on each leg)
This exercise gives your HAMSTRINGS the proper workout it needs, and it also works your core which means you are working on those abs without you even knowing it!! Happy days (if you are looking for a quick but effective ab work out, check out my article on the five best ab exercises before bed).
How to do it:
1) stand holding one Kettlebell in one hand (say right hand) standing with your feet hip-width apart, legs straight. Hold the Kettlebell in front of the same leg you are holding Kettlebell with (right leg).
2) then lift your opposite leg (left leg) slightly off the ground; from here, lift your leg upwards while simultaneously bringing your torso/chest forward; your body should stay in line until both your leg and chest are parallel to the floor, Kettlebell will be lowered towards the floor as you go through this movement.
3) when your back and leg is straight, return to the start position.
Notes: if you want to make this exercise a little harder (go on challenge yourself ), keep your foot (your working leg) off the ground as you work through your reps.
3) Kettle Bell Swings Sets 3 Reps: 10
This exercise will shock your LEG muscles into growth.
How to do it:
1) Getting Set, stand with your feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, hold the Kettlebell between your legs, with both hands and an overhand grip.
2) The Swing, Keeping a 45-degree arch in your lower back, bend your hips back up until the Kettlebell is behind (and between) your legs, and swing the Kettlebell up till it is parallel to your forehead (legs and back straight as Kettlebell reaches forehead).
3) Bringing it back, let the Kettlebell naturally swing back down between and behind your legs (if it touches your bum slightly when it comes down, your doing it right!!); when the Kettlebell is coming down, arch back to 45 degrees again while bending your knees and hips back (so basically go back to the start position), this is one rep. Then repeat immediately until all reps are completed.
Note: these exercises are actually good for your back as well, as they strengthen the muscles in your back, so that’s one less worry for your later year (I’m always looking for new ways to keep you fit & healthy!!)
4) KettleBell Calf Jumps: Sets: 3 Reps: 20.
These will leave your CALVES burning.
How to do it:
1)Stand with your feet hip-width apart, legs straight. Grab the Kettlebell with both hands (overhand grip) and hold the Kettlebell just in front of you (arms fully extended).
2) Than lower your knees, so they are bent to about 45 degrees, and then jump upwards as high as you can. Point your toes towards the floor when you jump.
3) as you land, allow your knees to bend 45 degrees; this is one rep.
Note: once you are back in the starting position, immediately jump up again, do not pause until all reps are completed.
So if you’ve been looking for the best home leg exercises, look no further!
As these require minimal space and will work every part of your lower body.
All that is required is a kettlebell (the more weight you want on the Kettlebell, the more the price goes up, for me, these are the all-round best kettlebells around, based on quality, price and practicality).
These 4 Exercises can be done within 15 minutes and is a great quick workout if you’ve had a busy day and want to give your legs a good workout.
So have no fear if you can’t get to the gym, just do leg day at home.😉
Top Tip: start with a 16 KG Kettlebell as this is a good starter weight for men; women go for a 12 KG Kettlebell.