Split ends don’t sound like a big problem, but it is precisely what it sounds like. Split end is the type of problem in which your hair split into two segments. This problem goes on until it reaches the scalp and which can be a severe risk of causing hair fall and can even cause baldness. Split ends make your hair dry, rough and frizzy. There are many causes of split ends like colouring, using machines and comb. It’s also essential to get rid of split ends to maintain healthy-looking hair.
As people nowadays desire to look fantastic and due to which they use harmful products, leading to split ends. But if you are serious about your hair and want to get rid of split ends, and then don’t worry because, in this article, we will tell you about the lousy cause and simple home remedies that will help you get rid of split ends.
Causes of split ends
Some of the reasons for split ends include:
- Hair colouring
- Combing or brushing
- Sunlight and pollution
- Hot blow
- Family history
Hair colour has become a popular trend in this few decades. Poor hair colour contains harmful chemicals that make your hair frizzy, dry, rough and lead to split ends. So always try to choose a suitable colour that suits your hair and doesn’t cause any harm.
Combing or brushing
Combing or brushing your hair the hard way not only cause split ends but also cause hair fall and scratches on your scalp. Try to comb your hair gently, as it will help in blood circulation. Another thing to remember is always to choose a good comb that has thick teeth. Using a good comb can make you get rid of split ends.
The shampoo is another thing. You should always be sure that you are using the right kind of shampoo. Don’t always change your shampoo, and remember, don’t shampoo every day. Regular shampooing can make your hair lose softness and can lead to split ends.
Using a cheap straightener or blunt scissors can lead to split ends. But it doesn’t mean that you should visit the salon every week. You should use a costly and good machine instead of cheap machines that destroy your hair.
Sunlight and pollution
Exposing your hair to direct sunlight and air polluted area can lead to split ends. Never go outside without any protection when it is too hot outside or over air pollution. Always wear a cap or handkerchief; it will prevent entering the dust particles from outside and help you eliminate split ends.
Never use a hairdryer regularly; it could be one of the reasons behind split ends. The air that comes out from the dryer is hot and can make your hair rough and dry. Dryer not only cause split ends but also cause hair fall. You can use a towel instead of the dryer.
Family history is something that you can’t do anything about. If your family members like your father and mother have the problem of split ends, then you too have the chance to get it. But you can get rid of split ends by following some remedies mentioned below.
Natural remedies to get rid of split ends
Here are some home remedies for split ends you can easily do at home:
1. Honey and yogurt
Honey and yogurt are the best remedies for split ends.
To use these for your split ends, here’s what you need to do:
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of honey and 2-3 teaspoons of yogurt.
- Mix both ingredients well and leave it for 5 minutes.
- After that, apply it at hair ends, massage for few minutes and let it stay for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with normal water followed by shampoo.
- Repeat this process twice a week. It will help you to get rid of split ends.
2. Olive and castor oil
Olive and castor oil provide smoothness and make your hair shiny. To use this for split ends:
- Take sufficient drops of olive and castor oil.
- Mix both the oil well, massage it for few minutes at hair ends and keep it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with normal water using shampoo.
- Repeat this process thrice a week. It will help you get rid of split ends.
3. Papaya and curd
Papaya not only prevent split ends but also make your hair free from head lice.
Here’s how to use it for split ends:
- Take 1/4 ripe papaya and 2 tsp of curd.
- Blend the papaya in the mixer by adding curd and make a paste. Apply this paste all over your hair and let it stay for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- Use this paste twice a week; this paste will help you to get rid of split ends.
4. Cream and milk
Cream and milk contain bacteria that clear dandruff and split ends too.
- Take 2 tsp of cream and half a bowl of milk.
- Mix both well and apply it all over your hair and especially at the hair ends.
- Keep it for 10 minutes, rinse with cold water using a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this process three times a week. It will help you to get rid of split ends.
5. Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is also an excellent remedy that prevents split ends.
- Take two chamomile tea bags and a bowl of water.
- Boil the bags in water and let them cool.
- Now, rinse your hair with the solution and dry with a towel.
- Use this tonic thrice a week. This tonic will help you to get rid of split ends.
Massage is the process that not only prevents split ends, but it has many other benefits. It helps in blood circulation, release stress, make hair strong and thick. Massage daily with your regular oil or use olive oil or coconut oil and leave it for an hour. Rinse with a mild shampoo. Massage will help you to prevent split ends in a better way.
You can make a juice to treat your split ends. Here’s how:
- Take a fresh avocado and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Blend the avocado in a mixer and make a paste.
- Now, extract the juice from the paste.
- Apply the liquid to your hair by adding coconut oil.
- Massage for few minutes, let it stay for 20 minutes and rinse with water.
- Following this process thrice a week will help you to get rid of split ends.
8. Shea butter
Shea butter gives extraordinary shine to your hair and also make you free from head lice.
- Take 2 teaspoons of shea butter and massage it on your hair.
- Leave it overnight and rinse with cold water the following day.
- Use this remedy thrice a week. This remedy will help you to get rid of split ends.
Beer acts as a natural conditioner which is very good for your hair. To use it for your split ends, here’s how:
- Rinse your hair with beer after shampoo.
- Leave it for few minutes and again wash it with normal water.
- Repeat this process whenever you shampoo; this process will help you to get rid of split ends.
10. Banana and honey
You can use banana and honey to make a DIY mask for your hair. Here’s how you can do it:
- Take a fresh ripe banana, an egg and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mash the banana by adding honey and egg yolk (don’t add the egg white) and make its paste.
- Now, apply the paste on your hair, especially at hair ends.
- Massage for few minutes and keep it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with normal water followed by shampoo. Using this remedy twice a week will help you to get rid of split ends.
11. Fenugreek leaves and lemon
Fenugreek leaves and lemon can help you in getting rid of your split ends. Here’s how you can treat them:
- Take 3-4 fenugreek leaves and half cut lemon.
- Grind the leaves in the mixer by adding lemon juice and a sufficient amount of water and make its paste.
- Now apply the paste to your hair, let it stay for 1 hour.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and repeat this process thrice a week. It will help you to get rid of split ends.
12. Black lentil powder
Black lentil powder does wonder in ridding split ends. Here’s how you can prepare a DIY remedy:
- Take 3 teaspoons of black lentil powder and half a cup of yogurt.
- Mix both well by adding a sufficient amount of water.
- Now apply the paste to your hair and keep it for 1 hour.
- Rinse with normal water followed by a mild shampoo. This remedy will help you to get rid of split ends.
13. Vitamin E capsule
Vitamin E capsule provides smoothness to the hair. Here’s how you can use it to get rid of split ends:
- Take 2-3 vitamin E capsules, cut them into two pieces and take out the oil.
- Apply the oil, especially at hair ends, massage for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it stay for 1 hour; after that, rinse with lukewarm water. Using this oil will help you to get rid of split ends.
14. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is the old way of treating split ends. To use it in getting rid of split ends, here’s how:
- Take one aloe Vera leave, peel off and take out the pulp.
- Blend the pulp and add olive oil or coconut oil to it.
- Now apply the paste to your hair and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with normal water.
- Repeat this process thrice a week; it will help you to get rid of split ends.