Puffiness of eyes can be frustrating, particularly if you don’t know that you could get rid of them using cucumber for puffy eyes, as they make you look aged, ill and tired. Quite often, it happens because of a lack of sleep. But they can also be a byproduct of dehydration, hormonal imbalance, water retention, low blood sugar, medications, smoking, pollution, and dust.
It is imperative to consult a physician if you have a burning sensation and redness in the eyes and a high fever. You can often treat your puffy eyes using natural ingredients like potato, milk, cucumber.
Is cucumber for puffy eyes beneficial?
- Cucumber, being a rich source of Caffeic and Ascorbic acid, reduces the puffiness of the eyes by restricting the retention of the water under the eyes.
- The solid astringent properties of cucumbers prevent skin sagging and enhance its elasticity, which makes the skin look fresh.
- Quite often, the puffiness of the eyes is associated with irritation. The cooling and soothing properties of cucumbers relieve the person of the irritation and tired look.
- The high quantities of flavonoids and antioxidants in cucumbers decrease the swelling and soothe inflammation in the areas under the eyes.
Best 12 methods of using cucumber for puffy eyes
Among several methods of using cucumber for puffy eyes, only a few are worth mentioning. All you have to do is pick a remedy and stick with it until you get rid of the puffiness of your eyes.
1. Chilled cucumber slices for puffy eyes
By putting chilled cucumber slices to use, you can get instant relief from the irritation, heat, and redness associated with puffy eyes. For this purpose, follow this procedure:
- Place a fresh cucumber in the refrigerator for a few hours to cool it.
- Slice two pieces of the cucumber. These slices should be large enough to sit on your eyes.
- Place these slices on your closed eyes.
- Let them stay there for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pat dry your eyes after removing the pieces.
- Repeat the process twice daily until you achieve relief from the puffiness
2. Grated cucumber for puffy eyes
- Cooldown a cucumber by placing it in a refrigerator.
- Take it out after a few hours.
- Grate this cucumber and put it on and under your eyes
- Keep it there for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until your eyes start feeling cold.
- Rinse your eyes with fresh water after removing it
- Pat dry your eyes without rubbing them.
- Repeat this procedure whenever you need a quick relief
3. Cucumber Juice for puffy eyes
- Blend a fresh cucumber to extract its juice
- Let it cool down in the fridge or refrigerator.
- In this chilled cucumber juice, soak two cotton buds.
- Rest for about 10 minutes after placing these buds on your closed eyes.
- Pat dry your eyes after removing the buds.
- Repeat this process twice a day for fresh feeling eyes
4. Potato and cucumber for puffy eyes
Catecholase, one of the primary components in potatoes, prevents water retention in the skin under the eyes. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties provide a cooling effect on your eyes.
- Take 2 tablespoons of potato juice in a cup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice to it and mix both the juices thoroughly.
- Get a small cotton swab and soak it in the solution.
- Apply this swab under your eyes.
- Now close your eyes, leaving the application on for a few minutes.
- Use fresh water to wash your eyes.
- Pat dry your eyes.
- For better results, use this solution thrice a day.
5. Lemon and cucumber for puffy eyes
Lemon, a rich source of Vitamin C, reduces water accumulation under the eyes by shrinking the blood vessels.
- Take equal quantities of lemon juice and cucumber juice in a bowl.
- Mix both of the ingredients to form a solution.
- Use a small piece of cotton as an application after soaking it in the solution.
- Gently rub it over and under your eyes.
- Let it sit there for 25 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash off the application.
Note regarding the use of lemon and cucumber for puffy eyes: Don’t forget to close your eyes, as the lemon juice can lead to burning and increased irritation.
6. Rose Water and Cucumber for puffy eyes
Rosewater is quite famous for its anti-inflammatory properties, which assist in the reduction of redness and swelling under the eyes.
- Take a tablespoon of rose water and cucumber juice and mixes them.
- In this mixture, dip a cotton swab and apply it under your eyes.
- Rinse off your eyes after keeping them there for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process thrice a day.
7. Aloe Vera and Cucumber for puffy eyes
The rich quantities of Vitamin E in aloe vera helps in the reduction and prevention of wrinkles, while the antioxidants assist in decreasing the swelling.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice along with 4 ounces of aloe vera extract.
- Mix them until you get a paste-like form.
- Place it in a refrigerator or fridge for about an hour after putting this paste in a ziplock bag.
- Before going to bed, use a cotton bud to apply this cucumber mixture to the eyes at night.
- Wash off the application using lukewarm water the following day.
- Keep repeating this process until the puffiness goes away.
8. Coconut Oil and Cucumber for puffy eyes
The coconut oil promotes the circulation of blood which decreases the retention of water under the eyes. The high quantities of fatty acids present in coconut oil assist in the hydration of the skin and prevent wrinkles.
- Get 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and three drops of carrot essential oil, cucumber and ¼ cup of aloe vera extract in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients until the paste gets a perfectly smooth texture.
- Pour this paste into an ice tray and place it in a freezer to free it.
- Take out two cubes from this frozen mixture.
- Gently massage your eyes with these cubes.
- Pat dry your eyes after splashing fresh water on your eyes.
- Repeat this procedure every morning.
9. Oranges and cucumber for puffy eyes
Oranges contain enormous quantities of vitamin C, which drain the water retained under the eyes. Furthermore, it strengthens your bones and tightens the skin while providing it flexibility.
- Mix equal quantities of orange juice and cucumber juice in a bowl.
- Grab two cotton swabs and dip them in the mixture.
- Put these swabs on your eyes.
- Wash your eyes with fresh water after letting the swabs stay there for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process three times every day.
10. Green tea and cucumber for puffy eyes
Green tea contains powerful antioxidants which remove the retained water under the eyes. Furthermore, it reduces the irritation, swelling, and redness of puffy eyes.
- Immerse two small slices of cucumber in a cooled down green tea.
- Put the tea in the fridge again for about an hour.
- Place these slices for 15 minutes on each of your eyes.
- Wash your eyes using lukewarm water after you remove the slices.
- For better results, repeat this process regularly.
11. Yogurt and cucumber for puffy eyes
Thanks to the soothing and cooling properties of yogurt, it aids in the reduction of swelling under the eyes and help them get a refreshing look.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt along with 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice.
- Keep this mixture in a refrigerator or a fridge for about one hour.
- Take it out and apply it to your eyes.
- Keep it there for 20 minutes.
- Use fresh water to wash your face.
- Pat them dry with a piece of cotton cloth.
- Repeat this process regularly.
12. Milk Powder and Cucumber for puffy eyes
The astringent properties of milk decrease the puffiness of the eyes. The lauric acid present in it calms down the swollen eyes and provide a soothing effect.
- Blend a fresh cucumber until you get an excellent paste
- Mix 1 tablespoon of milk powder in this blended paste
- Let this paste stay on your eyes after applying it.
- Wash off the application with cold freshwater
- Use this paste at least twice every day.
Safety tips and precautions for getting the best results using cucumber for puffy eyes
- Do a patch test first before trying any of the remedies mentioned above, as not all skin types are suitable for these treatments.
- Keep your eyes closed while applying a face pack. If any drop of juice succeeds in entering your eyes, immediately wash your eyes with a lot of fresh water.
- If the burning sensation persists, visit your doctor.
- Keep a good eye on the procedure mentioned on each of the cucumbers on eyes directions and methods.
- Alcohol consumption cucumbers the circulation of blood while diluting it, which makes your face look even puffier.
- Keep your body hydrated to keep it free of toxins and excess waste. For this purpose, drink plenty of water.
- Using cucumber on the eyes before and after going out can also help a lot.
- If your job requires you to work on a computer, then keep looking out after every 15-20 minutes so that your eyes do not get tired and strained.
- Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every day.
- If you face the confusion of “how long do I leave cucumbers on my eyes”, then refer to each of the methods mentioned above, as each procedure has different time limits.
When puffy eyes aren’t going away in rare cases, then get your thyroid levels checked up by a doctor.